Friday, September 4, 2009

Fluff

I have enjoyed my cotton creations so much that I thought I would kick it up a notch and invest in some premium organic cotton. I envisioned something heavenly and earthy at the same time. I ordered a skein of each color of a certain brand of organic cotton yarn. The yarn itself is wonderfully soft and smooth. It is by far the softest cotton I have come across. If you pull apart a cotton ball and smooth it out a bit, that's what this feels like. However, I am sad to say it's a nightmare to work with.
I think it's the way it's woven that makes it so defiant. I attempted (four times) to make the same type of washcloth that I've made many times before, and the stitches look very uneven and haphazard. The washcloths are nothing close to identical, but they are similar enough to recognize them as a set. I threw in the towel (hehe) and decided to use the remaining six skeins to make three ultra soft scarves in unconventional color combinations.

I am very happy with the first one in blueberry and sage. Again, the stitches didn't show up the way I wanted so I decided not to fight with it but rather to let it become the freeform scarf it wants to be. I love the character of this one. It screams handmade, custom, one-of-a-kind, quality and craftsmanship. It would sell well at a store like Anthropologie.

While visiting Anthropologie online, I happened upon their Cable Knit Ascot. Notice my two petite scarves along the same trend: one in purple and one in gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment